Monday, March 23, 2015

Dog At Your Feet



As I sat in a quiet home with my dog laying at my feet this morning, I could hear birds singing their delight of the returning of spring. There was a joy from the birds and contentment of the dog in that moment. Yet, somehow those same feelings seemed to escape me. I sat for a moment trying to capture the simple yet complex environment around me. Everything else had the capability to notice and bask in it, why couldn't I? I have a warm house, a comfy chair, a tasty beverage, a soft blanket, and no one or nothing demanding my time and attention. So why couldn't I complete the simple task of soaking in the moment?

The last few months have depleted my emotions and physical well-being. I have had numerous illnesses and physically demanding situations which feel unending. Could these have possibly taken so much from me that I am no longer able to capture the essence of simplicity? Okay, Michelle, time to center your focus and have a talk with God.

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” ~ James 1:5 (NLT)

It was time to begin asking! He answered!

“If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 (NLT)

God just wanted me to ask Him! He was then faithful to show me I needed to be careful. He wasn’t telling me that I had fallen into temptation. He was saying, “Daughter, I know you have feelings and emotions. I gave them to you! But please be careful to not allow the devil to use them against you. Your faith is strong, but if you allow him to steal the simple moments in life, your faith will begin to crumble. Yes, I am in those moments, even if it is not plain to see. I am the birds singing, the sleeping puppy at your feet, the soft blanket you are cuddled under, and the quiet house you are sitting in. I’m the simple and complex. Have your feelings for a time, dear daughter. However, soon it will be time to get up and dust yourself off. There is work to be done!”

OH WHAT A FAITHFUL AND LOVING FATHER WE HAVE!!!!!! He provided a way for me to endure my temptation by reassuring me I’m not alone!

I know I am not the only one that has been here. My challenge to you today:

Purposely pay attention to God. He will make sure you are on track. He does not forget we are human. Take a moment to make sure you are not allowing the devil to use the small things in your life to chisel away at your faith. It can begin to crumble without you noticing.   

4 comments:

Lon said...

That is a truth that we all have to find out in our lives, some of us like me have to keep learning it over and over for some reason. However God never leaves us unless we send him away, he will always be there when we want him and just knowing that makes me feel better.

Chris Kohn said...

How very ironic that you should choose my favorite verse & "go to" verse for tough times: I Corinthians 10:12-13. May it bring you strength and His Peace during your darkest days, my friend. Thank you for sharing. 💜

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honesty and willingness to share. I admire and am grateful for this post and the reminder to see God in each thing and send Satan packing. Laurie H.

Sandi said...

I sometimes see myself this way. I then think of my Heavenly Father or Higher Power......I know he is with me each and everyday. I just need to remember this. I have lately found myself "dusting" myself off more then usual but I feel that each time I do, I am getting closer with God. I know he would not give me more than I can handle and I feel as long as he brought me to it.....He WILL see me through it. Thank you Michelle, for sharing your story and may God continue to Bless us all.